Monday 10 September 2012

Another Post Office Rant

If anyone was wondering as to why it has been taking me so long to get this project moving up to speed, blame the USPS. Seriously. It is unbelieveable how utterly incompetent my postal office is! On saturday, I finally had had enough of their excuses and bumbling around that I went down there after being essentially challenged to do so by the manager. Here is what I learned:
- He thought my name was Richard despite having spoken to me numerous times on the phone. As someone who knows the LGBTQ community, I understand that with the growing number of trans men and women, you never can be too quick to judge about a person's gender. There is an exception: When someone clearly identifies herself as a woman named Kimberly who lives with a man named Richard, who, by the way, the manager has also spoken to, it would be fairly safe to assume which one I was.

- No one ever files complaints for poor service.With the above said, I was then told that I was the ONLY PERSON to ever file a complaint against this office and the manager who shall remain nameless. This was then followed by the manager saying that he had me confused with at least one other woman and Richard. Um...What? But here I thought I was the ONLY PERSON EVER to have filed a complaint.

- Apparently, people no longer remember what a CD is. Now, don't go saying that a younger person might be more familiar with MP3s. The manager is at least the same age as me and therfore grew up during the age of cassette tapes and CDs (and minidiscs, laser discs...). This came up when I asked why my mail carrier would bend a circuit board and shove it into a teeny tiny apartment mailbox. The manager was unfamiliar with circuit boards and what they felt like so I compared it to roughly the same rigidity of a CD. He still didn't understand why I was upset that someone bent my boards and put it in my mailbox despite the package being labeled as fragile/do not bend and clearly labeled as a stiff envelope containing electronic components.

-More than one person cannot live in an apartment despite there being a history of mail and deliveries being addressed to two people in the apartment. I'm not even going to explain this one because I couldn't even understand what the manager was trying to say or imply with this.

Please don't start flaming be about how the recent budget cuts have affected the postal service. I'm well aware. There is, however, a difference between the affects of a budget cut and plain old laziness and incompetence. In this instance, we are dealing with incompetence and someone who clearly does not care about their job, is utterly clueless about how to do their job (and apparently who their superiors are), and is pretty clueless about things in general if my multiple conversations with this manager are anything to go by. Now, back to our regular posts about fun and educational stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment