Wednesday 8 August 2012

Day 8: Adventures With a Hand Saw

Work Done: Frame cut.
So, after yesterday's delightful adventure into Home Depot to pick up the rods for the framework, I began the slow task of cutting the rods into the necessary lengths. I decided to use the Prusa Mendel as a sort of scaffolding while I build the rail framework around it.

A hacksaw and jigsaw combo took care of cutting the rods with a fair amount of work, my happy luck pretty much ended here as I realised I had bought metric nuts with SAE threaded rods. This realization only came after trying to screw the wrong sized nut onto the threaded rods for a good few minutes. So now I am forced to go and hunt down nuts of the right threading. Thankfully, this is only a minor setback.

On a surprising note, the ABS filament that I had ordered from Taiwan and was deemed undeliverable suddenly arrived are my door this morning! YAY! I had hoped that I might get this thing up and running by the end of the week so that I could print out the first set of parts for my prototype and it looks like it might actually be going that way. I also recieved three other packages today with the hot end, soldering stand, and the pack of nuts. It feels like my birthday. Maybe I just need some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment