Monday 6 August 2012

Day 6: Cuticle Clippers Can Be Your Best Friend

Work Done: Soldering the controller

After spending the weekend relaxing and cursing the post office for their utter ineptitude, I recieved 3 more parcels today containing the heated print bed, timing belts, and printed plastic parts. Things are starting to come together but I've been pretty much forced to order everything I need instead of just heading over to home depotso that I can have everything arrive at the same time and not have to worry about tracking down a package without a tracking number or a notice of attempted delivery slip.

Today's work consisted mostly of soldering the Sanguinololu together. I had ordered the complete kit with the FTDI soldered but instead recieved it unsoldered. Oh well. Not a bit deal but I really forgot how badly my eyesight is and am now being plagued by wicked eye strain. Nothing I haven't dealt with before but I may have used said eye strain as reasoning to buy a very well-priced magnifying glass/soldering pen holder. I seem to have also forgot that taking off my glasses to solder the FTDI chip does not, in fact, make my near-sighted ass see the areas to be soldered easier. This led to a truly hideous row of joints around the chip and a misplaced resistor (This can be seen in the photo below). It seems a trip to the wretched Radio Shack is in order.


Also, I'm considering adding the donation of a couple printing units to deserving teachers instead of just one teacher. This will undoubtedly affect my budget and therefore the goal amount for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment